PATIENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR PILLCAM®
SMALL BOWEL CAPSULE ENDOSCOPY WITH SENSORBELT
To ensure the best results for your PillCam capsule endoscopy of the small bowel, follow your doctor's instructions carefully and completely.
Day Before Capsule Endoscopy
- Start the prescribed liquid diet at 12:00 noon
- At 4 PM begin the bowel prep
- You may continue to drink clear liquids until 9:00 PM
Day of Capsule Endoscopy
- Do not ear or drink anything. You may brush your teeth.
- Do not take any medication 2 hours before having the exam.
- Wear upper garment of thin natural fiber such as a T-shirt that is long enough to reach at least to hip level and will not ride up above the belt.
After Swallowing the PillCam SB Capsule
Note! The capsule endoscopy procedure will last approximately 7 - 8 hours. Contact us at (714) 835-5100 immediately if you experience any abdominal pain, nausea or vomiting during the procedure.
- You may drink colorless liquids starting 2 hours after swallowing the PillCam SB capsule. Do not drink anything red.
- You may have a light snack 4 hours after ingestion. Again, do not consume anything red. After the examination is completed, you may return to your normal diet.
- Be sure the SensorBelt is tight at the waist. Do not attach anything to it.
- Avoid strong electromagnetic fields such as MRI devices or ham radios after swallowing the capsule and until you pass it in a bowel movement.
- Do not disconnect the equipment or completely remove the DataRecorder at any time during the procedure.
- Treat the DataRecorder carefully. Avoid sudden movements and banging of the device.
After Completing SB Capsule Endoscopy
Return to our office at the scheduled time to have the equipment removed.
If you are not sure that the capsule has passed out of your body and you develop unexplained nausea, abdominal pain or vomiting, contact us for evaluation.
Undergoing an MRI while the PillCam capsule is inside your body may result in damage to your intestinal tract or abdominal cavity. If you are not certain the capsule is out of your body, contact us for evaluation and possible abdominal x-ray before undergoing an MRI examination.
Start this diet after LUNCH on the day before your Capsule Endoscopy.
Clear liquids include:
- Chicken/Beef/Vegetable broth (canned or bullion)
- Jello - any color except red
- Clear Juices (apple, cranberry, etc.)
- Coffee or Tea (no cream)
- Carbonated Drinks (Coke, 7up, etc.)
- Crystal Light®
You may NOT have any of the following:
- Solid Food
- Dairy Products
- Non-dairy Creamer
- Cloudy Liquids (orange, grapefruit or tomato juice)